Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Journey of Creating My First Halloween Costume

Chapter 2:  Conjuring Up a Design

     So I know that I want to be The Steampunk Queen of Hearts.  I just have to decide if I want to piece it together (from sites like etsy, ebay, and thrift stores) or make it myself.  While trying to decide how I am going to do this, I came across a very inspiring website: http://steampunk.cnbeyer.com/overskirt.shtml that got me fired up to do a little bit of both.  I decided to take already made pieces and transform them into what I needed for my costume!  I was fired up and excited that I might be able to pull this off.  Now that I had my character down and a gameplan, it was time to go thrifting!

     I had decided on the rough vision: a skirt, an overskirt that was bustled up in some way, a corset, a shrug, and a hat (all of which to be decorated of course).  Now I know that you shouldn't set your heart on a certain style or fabric choice when you go thrifting, but I couldn't help myself.  I had visioned my costume being regal, velvet, black, gold, and red.  Way to keep an open mind right?  I did happen to get very lucky in my findings.  I found a long black velvet skirt, a button down black velvet shirt to be transformed into a shrug (even the cashier thought they were a set at first), and a long gold velvet skirt with red hues in it and a very regal feel to it.  That is luck.  As far as the hat goes, I purchased a plain red hat/headband online....I am a beginner and can't make everything.  However, I can decorate it!

     I then conjured up the design in my head based on the Disney queen, the Tim Burton queen, and some re-vamping of my own.  I am, for the most part, a visual person.  I wanted to know if what I came up with in my head I was actually going to like.  So I put it together on the computer (using similar pieces found online) and was pleased.  Now all I have to do is start sewing.......

P.S.-I did buy a practice skirt (velvet so I am used to the material that will be my final result).  Since I haven't sewn before and am not sure exactly what I'm doing, I bought a skirt to practice on for my overskirt/bustle piece.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment